Wednesday, April 2, 2008

PLN 7

I read an article called "Linear Fun #2: Stacking Cups" by a math teacher at my school who talked about a assignment he did with his students and the different twists in it to keep them interested. He even included a hands on activity to go along with his "cup stacking" problem. He challenged his students to find out how many cups tall he is if they are stacked. Then they were allowed to actually measure him to see if any of their answers were close to the actual answer. Then he tried this same problem a couple different ways. I always enjoy when my teachers try to add in activities that get us moving and using our hands. To me, it always makes the lesson a lot more interesting and easier to remember. I also know that a lot of my fellow students feel the same way. In my math class one time, we used bubbles and zometools to see a new thing we were learning called the Steiner's point. Not only was it a fun time playing with bubbles and building solids out of toys, but it was also a good visual way to see our lesson. Some people are visual, some audio, and some need to get their hands on it. I think all teachers should incorporate all three sometime in their lessons.

No comments: