Wednesday, April 30, 2008

PLN 15

I recently read an article called "Math in life" by James H., who asked some questions on how we will use all the math we learn in high school in life.
It makes me think, what should we be teaching? Are there subjects that should be
taught to students that would be more applicable to what they are going to see
in their future? Should we focus more math on applications like home mortgages,
credit card interest, taxes and other things that you might not learn in school?
I need to figure out how math is going to affect these kids in their future if
it does not include an engineering degree. I guess that my question becomes an
interpretation of the students question: Why do I teach this?

This made me think to, so I had a few words to say.
Dear James H,
This blog caught my eye as I was reading through some of your posts.
Your questions made me think about my future in math. I know it is important, but like you asked, where will we use it as an adult. I also thought it was interesting about what one of your commenter had said, from a. bradley…
"I loved math in high school because it was a challenge. But do I use it now? No."
I personally don't enjoy math, but now to think that all that I am learning won't be worth it, well that is something else. However, I most definitely agree with you about how schools should focus on teaching real world math in high school and college. I think this is a lot more important to learn than have to spend so much time learning theorems and equations. I guess it depends on what you will do in your future.

14 comments:

angelicao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mmg said...

Xavia, you did a great job on your presentation. You had really good eye contact and you did an awesome job on your pln's that you presented

Jackie N said...

Xavia, you had a great presentation. You spoke very clearly and explained your connections well. You had good eye contact, but still looked at your paper from time to time.

joeyw said...

Xavia I think you did a good job on picking your topics and I thought you gave good points as well.

samh said...

Xavia,
I thought you did a good job. Try to have more eye contact next time and make sure you speak loud enough for your audience to hear you, sometimes you got a little bit quiet which made it sort of hard to follow you. Good Job! :)

laurene said...

Xavia, you did a good job on your presentation. You did a good job on relating what really matters to all of your PLN's. A few suggestions I do have for you are try not to move around as much that way it can make you look more confident and also you stumbled a little while talking. You did have great eye contact though. Keep up the good work!

angelicao said...

You did a pretty goodjob with looking at your audience and you spoke loud and clear. Great job!

annies said...

Xavia! I think that we should always have text books handy incase something goes wrong with computers or something, we have something to fall back on. But I also agree that it depends with the math that you are learning now if that will help you in the real world. Great job!

brandonh2011 said...

You did a really good job and a good question good eyey contact and you spoke clearly

NowlanS said...

You had a good presentation. You had some pretty good points and sparked a good discussion with your presentation. Swell Job.

berekm said...

Xavia, great job. You had good points and you knew what you ere talking about. The presentation seemed well planned and you spoke loud and clearly while making good eye contact. Good job.

ethan l said...

I liked your presentation. Your post on math in life is very good because we should be learning stuff that we are going to need to know when we get older, and also some of the other stuff.

adama said...

Xavia- good plns and good connections to them. Also good eye contact and also speaking clearly.

seanb said...

nice presenation