Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Teen Can't Hold Flower in Yearbook

I have just read an article in the Denver Post about how a girl in New Hampshire could not hold a flower in her yearbook picture. It is said that props were forbidden because there was an incident where a boy had wanted to pose with a gun. So now they are reminded for school pictures, that no hats or props are allowed. Well, I think this is ridiculous because I cant see why she couldn't be allowed to hold something as simple as a flower. I can understand why they put the rule up, no one should be holding a gun in their pictures, but I don't think they should ban all props.

But,I don't think this article is just about this incident. If something so simple as this is banned, I am sure they will come up with more rules. Last year, we watched this news channel called Channel One. A lot of times we would hear about different schools receiving new rules. Some of the students agreed with these rules and said that they would help the school. but others were in protest and often said that they were unfair. I think that some of these rules are limiting their (sometimes our) freedom in what we can do. I remember talking about in my history class about how we had a lot more freedom now that we are in high school. But we should remember that freedom comes with responsibilities and that if we aren't responsible, we may lose some of those freedoms.

So maybe these schools have lost their freedoms because they haven't used them responsibly, and maybe not. But what about those other students who have acted responsibly? Should they lose their freedoms too?

2 comments:

annes said...

Xavia, you make great connections to what is going on in your own life as well as really thinking "out of the box" on this one. You really did a great job going beyond the issue of the article and made excellent global and local connections. Keep up the good work. Maybe try linking to the article.

amyw said...

Awesome ideas Xavia! And yes I remember that Channel 1 story too. I completely agree with you: what's wrong with a flower?