Friday, March 14, 2008

PLN 4

I just read an article called "Quiet Students" on Kristen's Blog where she talked about how she wonders how to grade those students who don't want to speak up in class, but might actually deserve the grade if they just spoke out once in a while. Some students don't talk because they just don't care. But what about those who really have something good to say and are to shy to say anything? Should they get a low grade on participation, even though you know they tend to be the smarter ones and really do deserve a good grade? It tends to be that if they were given the choice to write down their thoughts, they have a whole lot to say, but when it comes to a class discussion, they don't say a word. I can see how this might bother teachers. However, because I am one of those people who talk and participate a lot in class, I'm definitely not the one to sit back and listen. Though I do understand why some people don't want to talk out of experience. I used to be really shy about sharing my ideas, afraid that they were not good enough to be spoken out loud. So, do I think those who do not participate should get a zero on for their grade? Well, that is a hard question. I guess one solution could be that for those who do not say anything, a short summary should be written to see if they were paying attention and if they understand what is being taught. After all, that is the point of a discussion; just a different way to show what you know instead of having to take a quiz or notes. I think discussions are a funner way to learn from your classmates and hope that we continue to have them.

No comments: