Saturday, March 1, 2008

PLN 1 semester2

I just read an article called "Why the time in hallways is time well spent" by Jeff Utecht who talks about how much you can learn, just by having a few chats in the halls at school.  Well, maybe not so much for us teens, but he talks about how he was just doing his normal morning routine on his way to get a cup of coffee before his next class. In that time he had visited with two teachers and had talked about the things that they were teaching their students. One of them was the art teacher of one of his students who did digital art for him. He there learned about how they were studying Friedrich Hundertwasser and were doing their own works by using his style of art. He then talked to an AP English teacher where they talked about how she loved forums that help encourage students to think before they responded. Also, on some of the discussions they had, the students would bring up the same topic in their other discussions, relating one to another. This reminds me of my English teacher Ms. Smith who encourages us to relate our blogs to not only ourselves and the world around us, but also to our other blogs that are on other topics but still have some related points. So, what did I find important? Well, I thought that sometimes just taking the time to stop and talk with someone can give you something new to think about. I kind of see blogging that way to. When you stop to read someone else's blog, you not only get to read something on another person's view, but learn something new from them as well. Since there are so many different opinions, it can become very interesting and it is even better when you get to add your own thoughts in the picture and have other people learn from something you wrote.

1 comment:

Jeff Utecht said...

We learn a lot when we stop to listen. Whether it is in the hallway, on the bus, at lunch. Learning happens when we take the time to stop and listen. Reread my post with that in mind. What did I do? I stopped doing 'my thing' and allowed myself to listen and open up to new ideas. I was then able to teach, learn, and reflect based on new information.

We (me included) do not listen enough. I mean really listen deeply to the people around us. It's a skill to work on and one that allows you to reach a deeper level of reflection as you allow yourself to open up to new ideas around you....then you blog. :)