Tuesday, November 6, 2007

PLN 17

I am sure all of us have been to an art museum, whether it be a modern art or some other kind. However, have you ever looked at a piece of art and wondered, What is that? or I could have done that! Well I read an article called "Christie Davies looks at three massive works of art parked outside our art galleries and is amazed at British art galleries' gullibility and moved by the sensibility of the Chinese: Sculptures by Doris Salcedo, Louise Bourgeois and Zhang Huan" by Christie Davis. She talks about some of these pieces of art, Shibboleth, Maman, and Three Legged Buddha . Shibboleth is a piece of art that is a giant crack in the floor. What Christie says is that she does not understand is what this really is supposed to represent or mean.
It is a meaningless crack in the concrete like the one I saw in the railway station in Skopje after the earthquake there...It was just a crack in the concrete, like this one. A crack is a crack is a crack.

I agree, some pieces of art are completely meaningless. Just the other say, I went to a museum and saw some really beautiful things. Then i came upon this wall with crepe paper mountains or something and fox fur thrown all over. then on the wall were these pictures of dead bloody pigs flying down. WHAT?! One of the people who worked there said that the artist was ,"Still unsure about what she meant for it to be"
I think art should have meaning to it. I think it makes it more interesting. Then again, some people just go to look at the art at a brisk pace and don't take time to study it.

No comments: