Tuesday, October 23, 2007

PLN 13

Have you ever been asked to try something, something that you thought was really hard and you did not want to do it? Or maybe there was something you didn't want to do unless your friend did it. Has that ever happened to you? Well I read an article called "If my friend Scott, a double amputee can run an ironman, what's your excuse?" by Vicki Davis, about a man who pushed to succeed his goals even when he doubted himself at times.

The man was Scott Rigsby, a man who had lost half of both legs in a truck accident as a teenager. However, this did not stop him from acheiving this ironman triathalon. This ironman triathalon consisted of 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking, and then 26.2 miles of running in 17 hours! What amazes me is that he swam without legs (where most of your speed comes from), biked without legs, and then ran all that way with prosthetic legs!

What Matters
We should learn a lesson from this. And what would that lesson be? Well I think that achieving your goals is a great lesson to take away from this. Also, try new things. "Oh, but it is so hard!" So? try it! What can you loose by trying something? Yeah, you could fail the first time. Just look at Scott Rigsby, he failed the first time he tried, but he got back up and tried again. Also, don't be a follower, be a leader. Instead of trying to persuade your friend to go first so you can see what it is like, go see for yourself. Why not be the example? There may not be another chance to have an experience like this.

What Matters To Me
I am not that much of a daredevil, so I suppose I should take up my own advice. But sometimes, I get scared to do something like for example , going into the scariest Haunted House like the Asylum. Well time to face those fears! and to achieve my goals. GO through that Haunted House, GO do that presentation in front of the class, GO try out for that sport! What's your excuse?

No comments: