Monday, May 12, 2008

PLN 19 semester 2

I read an article called "Is Multi-tasking Impairing Our Students' Learning? " on Cheryl's blog where she talked about how multitasking and technology might effect students' learning. This is how I responded to her blog.
This is a very interesting topic being someone who does multitask a lot in the classrooms here at school. I guess I would have to agree though that some of us would learn a lot better if we were focused on one thing at a time instead of adding things in our attention to focus on. Then again, some people would say that we students learn better when we have to focus on multiple things. I only have one class that has laptops in it, my English class, and I don't really see a major change in the way I learn. However,
I couldn't see the same results in a science or math class where I need all of my focus on the teacher and the things they are saying for me to understand. My English class though, I have an easy time multitasking as I type on my computer and listen to my teacher or classmates at the same time. I know that some adults feel that we are too easily distracted when we have technology around, though some of us do. But I think that we have the ability to really focus on all of the things we are supposed to and succeed just as well if we did not use computers, maybe better. I do think it would be interesting to think about your ideas on future schools and how they would be set up with quiet places and sound-proofed walls, where we can think better, and allow ourselves to let the information process all that we learned.

No comments: